martes, 8 de noviembre de 2016

TURN THE TABLES (Raymon Wittenberg; Netherlands; 2015)

Some days ago, our facebook follower Raymon Wittenberg send us a private message where he shared his graduation short Turn the Tables, and amazing mix between 3D and 2D puppets. We watch it and instantly wanted to know more about this, so we reply Raymon and he had been so kind to send us a text about the making of the short and the images that illustrate this entry (our first write wholly in English, please sorry about my bad grammatical use of the Language).


I studied Animation at the St. Joost Art Academy in Breda, the Netherlands. On the 18th of August 2015 I graduated with my film Turn the Tables. Turn the Tables is a film about a young man who is trying to make contact with people while going out for dinner in a restaurant. Unfortunately, he is a little bit socially awkward. Is he able to succeed? Or will he spend the evening by himself? 
I put a lot of effort in the production of the film. I spend a lot of time making the puppets and set. But I had a lot of fun! First thing I started with was building the set. The chairs and tables are an important part of the story. They have to interact with the characters. Therefore I animated them digitally and exported them frame by frame. I used a lasercutter to cut them out. During the proces of making the set I sculpted all the the male and female character parts of the puppets. I didn't want to 3D print the facial replacements because nowadays you can still see the horizontal 3D printing lines of standard quality 3D printers. Therefore I used the old stop motion techniques and moulded and casted all the body parts and faces. Afterwards I filled in the gap with plasticine clay where the mouth needs to be. The blogs of the stop motion brothers Joshua and Nathan Flynn were very useful in discovering these techniques and materials. 
The final piece of the puzzle was the stop motion animation. This part was such fun to do! You can see all the elements come together. I had a lot of help from animation students of the academy, from colleagues and friends during the proces of my film. Without them Tun the Tables wouldn't exist in it's final form. I am so thankful for their help! :)
If you want to know more about this project, you may go directly to the very interesting Raymon's blog: http://rjawittenberg.blogspot.com

No hay comentarios: